Product Version: 6.2
Last Modified: 09 Sep 2016
I am creating a backup job for my AWS EC2 instance(s).
After selecting an instance in the job wizard I see the message stating I may be double charged.
What does this mean?
NAKIVO Backup & Replication allows backing up AWS EC2 instances. The backup is performed as follows:
- Snapshot of the EBS volume(s) attached to the original instance is taken.
- Temporary volume(s) are created from the snapshot.
- Temporary volume(s) are attached to the Transporter instance.
- The data from the temporary volume(s) is backed up.
- Temporary volume(s) are detached from the Transporter and removed.
Product Code is an instance attribute which is widely used by AWS Marketplace for tracking usage of the Marketplace products.
If you are backing up an instance that contains AWS Marketplace Product Code, the following will happen:
- AWS will automatically inject the Product Code from the original instance into the Transporter instance.
- After the backup is complete, the Product Code will be auto removed from the Transporter instance.
As a result, AWS may identify that your account is running two copies of the same paid product, and double charge the account for the duration of the backup.
The following information should be taken into consideration:
- Transporter instance must have Platform supported by AWS Marketplace product being backed up.
For example, if the original instance has "Windows" Platform attribute, the Transporter must have the same Platform attribute.
NAKIVO Backup & Replication will try to determine Platform automatically and deploy the appropriate Transporter instance.
Transporter instance type must be supported by AWS Marketplace product being backed up.
For example, if the AWS Marketplace product supports only t2.medium instance type, the Transporter instance must have the same type.
NAKIVO Backup & Replication is unable to determine minimum required instance type for an original instance; t2.micro is used by default.
If this instance type is not supported, instance processing will fail. In such case, please edit your Transporter and select instance type supported by the original instance.