Product Version: 10.0
Last Modified: 30 June 2020
The VMware backup/recovery/replication job fails with the following error:
In vSphere v7.0, the disks greater than 256GB require change tracking (CTK) v2.0 which is not supported by older vSphere versions. Therefore, when you use the HotAdd transport mode to save a VM of virtual hardware version (VHV) 17 with enabled CBT and a large virtual disk, the backup/replication/recovery job fails due to the following reasons:
- The VHV of the backed up VM is 17 or higher.
- The saved disk size is greater than 256GB.
- The CBT was reinitialized on a 7.0 ESXi host.
To solve the problem, do one of the following:
- Disable CBT on the target VM to avoid the CTK problem (not recommended because full backups will ensue after that).
- Migrate the backup proxy VM to a host running ESXi 7.0 using vMotion.