Product Version: 9.1
Last Modified: 18 March 2020
The following error message appears:
When the application-aware mode is enabled, NAKIVO Backup & Replication uses guest OS quiescing to create a VM snapshot. Guest OS quiescing uses VSS to freeze I/O requests of applications inside the OS. If guest OS quiescing fails to create an application-consistent snapshot, NAKIVO Backup & Replication displays the above error.
Solution for VMware
- Update your virtual infrastructure (especially the hypervisor on the source host) to the latest version.
- Update VMware tools on the machines you protect to the latest version.
- Check if there are any Volume Shadow Copy Service errors in the Windows logs on the source VM.
- Try to manually create a snapshot with the following settings:
- "Snapshot the virtual machine's memory" option must be deselected.
- “Quiesce guest file system” option must be selected.
If the manual snapshot does not work, the problem is likely caused by VSS configuration.
Solution for Nutanix
- Log in to Nutanix Prism.
- Select the VM you want to protect and click Manage Guest Tools.
- In the Manage VM Guest Tools dialog box, select the following checkboxes:
- Enable Nutanix Guest Tools.
- Mount Nutanix Guest Tools - make sure that the VM has at least one empty IDE CD-ROM slot to attach the ISO. For detailed information, refer to the Enabling and mounting Nutanix Guest Tools page on the Nutanix portal.
- Volume Snapshot Service / Application Consistent Snapshots (VSS).
- After Nutanix Guest Tools are mounted to VM's CD-ROM, log in to the VM and install the Guest Tools manually.
- Nutanix VSS snapshots of the VMs with delta, SATA, and IDE disks are not supported.
- Nutanix VSS snapshots fails if the VM has any iSCSI attachments.
For more information, refer to the Application-consistent snapshot guidelines page.