During backup or replication, large amounts of data need to be processed and transferred over the networks, which can end up slowing down your business-critical operations. Therefore, administrators use various approaches to minimize the impact of data transfer on daily operations. Among them are backup jobs scheduled for the off-business hours, various traffic reducing techniques, and more.
To ensure high performance of the NAKIVO Backup & Replication solution, it is supplied with a set of built-in tools to provide:
High data transfer speed.
Short job completion time.
Maximum storage savings.
NAKIVO Backup & Replication offers several performance features, allowing you to avoid bottlenecks related to network bandwidth, hardware and software resources:
LAN-free data transfer. NAKIVO Backup & Replication automatically uses LAN-free data transfer modes, Hot Add and Direct SAN Access, to bypass LAN, offload production networks, and significantly increase backup and recovery speeds.
- Network acceleration. Since WAN and LAN links are often slow and have limited bandwidth, NAKIVO Backup & Replication can use traffic reduction techniques to speed up data transfer. On average, this results in a network load reduction of 50% and a data transfer acceleration of 2X for VM backup, replication, and recovery.
- Compression and deduplication. These techniques allow you to save your storage space by reducing backup size.
- VMware CBT, Hyper-V RCT and Nutanix CRT. By using the changed block tracking technology, NAKIVO Backup & Replication is able to significantly reduce the amount of data being copied for each backup interval. It can only ask SAN storage for the block changes that have occurred since the last backup, instead of copying full backups for each backup iteration.
- Skipping swap files and partitions. NAKIVO Backup & Replication automatically skips swap files and partitions during the backup process by default. This results in faster backups and significant storage savings.
Also, to ensure the best product performance, follow the general recommendations below:
- Avoid scheduling NAKIVO Backup & Replication Self-Backup at a time when any other jobs are running.
- Avoid overloading the product database with events. Otherwise, the Director service may utilize a huge portion of CPU resources on the host server, and the user may even fail to open the product interface. You can use the following workarounds to improve performance in this respect:
- Decrease the value of the Store system events for the last X days parameter in System Settings.
- Clean up the product database from all events.
This section includes recommendations on the following topics: