Product Version: 9.0
Last Modified: 17 May 2019
What are the requirements to use application-aware mode for Hyper-V?
The application-aware mode for Hyper-V uses the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS), so make sure it is enabled on the source VM. In Hyper-V 2016/2019 the VSS is integrated with checkpoint services, and in Hyper-V 2012 and 2012 (R2) it is not, thus NAKIVO Backup & Replication injects a runtime VSS driver into a VM to be backed up or replicated.
Microsoft Hyper-V 2012 and 2012 (R2) VMs to be backed up must support Version 2 or later of the SMB protocol to allow NAKIVO Backup & Replication to inject the runtime VSS driver.
Take the following steps to enable application-aware mode.
Hyper-V 2012, 2012 (R2)
Make sure that integration services are installed and updated.
Integration services for Hyper-V 2012:
Integration services for Hyper-V 2012 (R2):
- Go to the source VM Settings >Integration Services.
- Check all checkboxes in this section.
- Check if the integration services are running on the source VM. The services must be updated to the latest version.
- Go to the Checkpoints section.
- Choose Production checkpoints and select Create standard checkpoints if it's not possible to create a production checkpoint.
The quiescing will fail if the standard checkpoints are used.
- Make sure that a network adapter is connected to the source VM.
- Get the source VM IP address in Hyper-V Manager.
- Ping the source VM from the Hyper-V server machine.
If the ping command is successful, you're all set.