Product Version: 6.0
Last Modified: 31 Dec 2015
What may cause a long initial (full) VM backup?
A long initial (full) VM backup may be caused by a number of factors:
- Large amount of data that needs to be transferred during the first backup
- Slow or overloaded storage servers
- Slow or overloaded network
- Incorrect network configuration
- Failure to enable VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT).
CBT helps to identify which data blocks on VM disks are not utilized (free).
If CBT enabling fails on a VM, the product uses proprietary change tracking technology, which reads all data blocks to identify whether they are used or not.