Product Version: 6.0
Last Modified: 31 Dec 2015
How can I set up high availability for NAKIVO Backup & Replication installation?
High availability for the Director component of NAKIVO Backup & Replication can be set up by deploying the product on a VM and leverage VMware’s built-in High Availability feature.
Alternatively, you can move the product’s database to a shared folder and set up a “stand-by” failover instance of the product, which you can use if the primary instance is unavailable.
To set up a stand-by instance, follow the steps below:
- Install primary NAKIVO Backup & Replication copy.
- Install secondary NAKIVO Backup & Replication copy.
- Set up a shared folder that can be accessed from both machines.
- Stop NAKIVO services on both machines.
- Copy the "userdata" folder from the production machine to the shared folder.
- Delete the "userdata" folder from both production and failover machines.
- Mount the shared folder to both production and failover machines and make symbolic links to the “userdata” folder on a share. For example:
- Download and unzip PSTools, locate the PsExec.exe utility.
- Run command prompt as Administrator and use the PsExec.exe utility to run another command-line process from the System account:
psexec -s C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
- Mount the shared folder as a network drive from command line (make sure that the account that you use has read and write permissions):
net use Z: \\fileserver\share /u:domainname\username password
- Create a symbolic link to disk Z: <installation path>\NAKIVO Backup & Replication from cmd:
mklink /d UserData Z:
- Start NAKIVO services on the production machine.
If the production machine fails, you can start NAKIVO services on the failover machine.