Product Version: 6.0
Last Modified: 15 Jan 2016
I have an important application which does not integrate with VSS.
Can I create a reliable backup of such application with NAKIVO Backup & Replication?
We recommend using application-aware mode in conjunction with VSS for backing up live applications.
If your application has a transactional database and does not support VSS, use one of the following options:
Using custom scripts
- Enable application-aware mode in the job settings.
- Use pre-freeze script to gracefully stop the application.
- Use post-thaw script to re-start the application.
With this option, the application will be gracefully stopped before the snapshot is taken, and re-started right after the snapshot is taken.
Information on using custom quiescing scripts can be found in VMware KB 1006671.
Backing up powered off VM
- Power off the VM during non-business hours.
- Back up a powered off VM.
Using third party tools
You can search for third-party tools that:
- Can be invoked by scripts, and
Can temporarily pause transactions in your application.