Product Version: 6.0
Last Modified: 20 Jan 2016
Can I back up to multiple removable disks and rotate the disks?
One of the data protection best practices suggests to always keep a copy of important backups offsite.
One of the approaches is backing up VMs to removable disks in rotation, and keeping one of them outside the infrastructure.
Here’s how you can achieve this with NAKIVO Backup & Replication:
Preparing Backup Repositories
To back up to two disks in rotation, you need to create a Backup Repository on each disk.
NOTE: If you create just one Backup Repository on Disk 1 and copy/paste it to Disk 2, you will not be able to back up to Disk 2 in rotation.
- Prepare two disks to which you plan to backup VMs.
- Connect or mount Disk 1 to a machine where a Transporter is installed.
- Create a Backup Repository 1 on Disk 1.
- Connect or mount Disk 2 to a machine where a Transporter is installed.
- Create a Backup Repository 2 on Disk 2.
Preparing Backup Jobs
To back up to two disks in rotation, you need to create two separate backup jobs: a backup job 1 that backs up your VMs to Disk 1 and a backup job 2 that backs up the same VMs to Disk 2. Here’s how:
- Create a backup job 1 for Disk 1:
- Make sure that Disk 1 is connected or mounted to the machine where the Transporter is installed.
- If the Backup Repository 1 was detached, attach it to the product.
- Start the New Backup Job Creation Wizard.
- In Backup Job Wizard for VMware: VMs Step, choose VMs that you want to back up.
- In Backup Job Wizard for VMware: Destination Step, choose the Backup Repository 1 you have created.
- In Backup Job Wizard for VMware: Schedule Step, select the Do not schedule, run on demand option.
- In Backup Job Wizard for VMware: Options Step, specify required backup options.
Repeat the above steps to create the backup job 2 with the Backup Repository 2.
Backing up to Removable Disks in Rotation
To back up to a removable disk, do the following:
- Connect or mount Disk 1 to the machine where the Transporter is installed.
- Attach the Backup Repository 1.
- Run the backup job 1.
- After the backup job 1 has completed, detach the Backup Repository 1.
- Disconnect or unmount the Disk 1 – it’s now ready to be relocated offsite.
- Repeat the above steps for Disk 2.